Board Meeting Agenda - November 17, 2009
Full Board Convenes 8:30 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Discussion with the Honorable Timothy M. Kaine, Governor of the
Commonwealth of Virginia
Approval of Minutes of the October 22, 2009, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of the Notice of Intended Regulation Action (NOIRA) for the Regulations Governing Career and Technical Education (8 VAC 20-120-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation Regarding the Certification of Braille Instructors in Response to the Virginia General Assembly House Bill 2224
- First Review of the Technical Amendments to the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (8 VAC 20-81-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Revised Memorandum of Understanding for Petersburg City Public Schools to Include Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA) (8 VAC 20-131-315)
- First Review of the Annual Report for State-Funded Remedial Programs
- First Review of a Report on the Investigation of a Testing Irregularity and Resulting Non-Compliance with 8 VAC 20-131-30 of the Standards for Accrediting Schools at William Fleming High School in Roanoke City for the 2008-2009 School Year
- Final Review of Proposed Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2009 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- First Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommended Passing Score for the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA)
- Report from the Board of Education’s Charter School Application Review Committee on a Proposed Public Charter School Application
- Annual Report of the State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Annual Report of the Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING ADJOURNMENT OF BUSINESS SESSION
- Meeting of the Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind Foundation
- Public Hearing on the Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and Divisions
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Monday, November 16, 2009. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.