Board Meeting Agenda - January 14, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 17, 2009, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution in Memory of Dr. S. John Davis, Superintendent of Public Instruction for the Commonwealth of Virginia, 1978-1990
- Resolution in Honor of Virginia’s 2010 Teacher of the year, Catherine S. Webb, Speech Language Pathologist and Special Education Teacher, Narrows Elementary School in Giles County
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Fund or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2009 Annual Report on Electronic Meetings
- First Review of Revisions of Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Charlotte County Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- Final Review of Proposed Revised English Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of State Adoption of Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 History and Social Science
- Final Review of Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2010-2015
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve Education Programs Offered by Virginia Institutions of Higher Education as Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommended Passing Score for the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA)
- Progress Report on Analyses Aimed at Understanding College Readiness in Virginia
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, January 13, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.