Board Meeting Agenda - february 25, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the Offices of President and Vice President of the Board of
Remarks by the Honorable Gerard Robinson, Secretary of Education of the
Commonwealth of Virginia
Approval of Minutes of the January 14, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval of an Education Program in Administration and Supervision PreK-12 at the University of Richmond
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant the Professional Education Program at Virginia Wesleyan College Accreditation through the Board of Education Approved Process
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve an Option to Meet the Praxis I Reading and Writing Test for Entry into an Approved Preparation Program
- Report on Critical Need Divisions Receiving Technical Assistance from the Office of School Improvement
- Report on Testing Irregularities in Norfolk City Public Schools
- Report on Academic and Career Plan Technical Assistance
- Report on Internet Safety and You
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 24, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.