Board Meeting Agenda - March 18, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the February 25, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Remarks by the Honorable Gerard Robinson, Secretary of Education, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Resolutions of Recognition Presented to the Virginia Recipients of the 2009 Milken Family Foundation National Educators Awards: Ann Lam Wong, West Springfield High School, Fairfax County Public Schools, and Sharon A. Dravvorn, Woodbridge Senior High School, Prince William County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to School Divisions Receiving the SACS/CASI District Accreditation: Carroll County Public Schools and Spotsylvania County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to the 2010 Distinguished Title I School Division: Lexington City Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of the Proposed Consolidated Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant the Professional Education Program at Virginia Wesleyan College Accreditation through the Board of Education Approved Process
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve an Option to Meet the Praxis I Reading and Writing Test for Entry into an Approved Preparation Program
- First Review of Proposed Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
- First Review of Process for State Adoption of Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 Mathematics
- Final Review of State Adoption of Textbooks and Instructional Materials for K-12 History and Social Science
- Statewide Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
- Report on the Biennial Budget Adopted by the 2010 General Assembly
- Report on Legislation Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of a Request for Approval of a Request from Fairfax County Public Schools for a Waiver of One Day for a Declared State of Emergency
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, March 17, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.