Board Meeting Agenda - May 27, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the April 21-22, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing Educational Services for Gifted Students (8 VAC 20-40 et. seq) Following an Extended 30-Day Comment Period
- Second Review of Revisions to Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Harrisonburg City Public Schools
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day (Year Round School) from Richmond City Public Schools
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit with Stipulations the Professional Education Program at Washington and Lee University through a Process Approved by the Board of Education and Approve the Education (Endorsement) Programs
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Professional Education Program at Virginia Wesleyan College through the Board of Education Approved Process
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Passing Score for the Praxis II Business and Information Technology Assessment
- (Withdrawn) – Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve Passing Scores for the Praxis II World Language Assessments in German, French, and Spanish and to Approve the Assessments and Passing Scores as Another Option to Meet Endorsement Requirements for Native Speakers or Candidates Who Have Learned the Foreign Language
- Final Review of Proposed Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
- First Review of a Proposal to Allow Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus BC to Verify Two Mathematics Credits
- Report on Technical Assistance to Norfolk City Public Schools
- Report of the Memorandum of Understanding for Petersburg City Public Schools to Include Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA) 8 VAC 20-131-315
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
Item Added to the Agenda
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, May 26, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.