Board Meeting Agenda - September 23, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 22, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of a Proposed Amendment to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to Senate Bill 715 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of a Proposed Amendment to the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et seq.) to Conform to Senate Bill 715 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Promulgate Regulations Governing Competitive Food in the Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2011 Calendar Year
- First Review of Final Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720) and Repeal of the Rules Governing Fees and Charges (8 VAC 20-370)
- Final Review of Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720) and Repeal of the Regulations Governing Instructional Materials- Selection and Utilization by Local School Boards (8 VAC 20-1790), Regulations Governing Textbook Adoption State Level (8 VAC 20-220), Regulations Governing Textbook Adoption Local Level (8 VAC 20-230), and Regulations Governing Textbook Fund Management and Handling on Local Level (8 VAC 20-270)
- Final Review of Revisions to the Regulations Governing Pupil Transportation (8 VAC 20-70- 10 et seq.)
- First Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2010 English Standards of
Also see: Comparison of Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts (PDF) – Preliminary Analysis: a side-by-side comparison overview.
- First Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2010 Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of the Annual Measurable Objectives in Reading and Mathematics from 2010- 2011 through 2013-2014 for Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- First Review of Multidivision Online Providers Approval Process: List of Accreditation Agencies
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees: Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy, State Special Education Advisory Committee, Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education, Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted, and the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- First Review of the Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan: 2011-2016
- Report on the Memorandum of Understanding for Petersburg City Public Schools to Include Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA) (8 VAC 20-131-315)
- Report on the Memorandum of Understanding for Sussex County Public Schools in Accordance with Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA) (8 VAC 20-131-315) (Attachments to this item added September 22, 2010)
- Report on Preliminary Analysis of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
Compared to the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
Also see: Comparison of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF) – Preliminary Analysis: a side-by-side comparison overview.
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, September 22, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.