Board Meeting Agenda - October 28, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the September 23, 2010, Meeting of the Board
- Resolutions of Recognition presented to school divisions recently receiving the SACS/CASI
District Accreditation: Prince William County Public Schools, Wythe County Public Schools,
Colonial Heights City Public Schools, Floyd County Public Schools, Galax City Public Schools,
King William County Public Schools, Buchanan County Public Schools, Lee County Public
Schools, and Norton City Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Repeal the Regulations Governing the Approval of Correspondence Courses for Home Instruction (8 VAC 20-601) and Revise the Regulations Governing Driver Education (8 VAC 20-340)
- First Review of a Memorandum of Understanding for Norfolk City Public Schools for
Compliance with the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in
Virginia (SOA) (8 VAC 20-131-315) for Lafayette-Winona Middle School
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant the Professional Education Program at Christopher Newport University Accreditation by the Board of Education Approved Process
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at James Madison University, Longwood University, Lynchburg College, Radford University, Shenandoah University, University of Richmond, The University of Virginia’s College at Wise, Virginia Intermont College, and Virginia State University
- Final Review of the Annual Measurable Objectives in Reading and Mathematics from 2010- 2011 through 2013-2014 for Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- Final Review of Multidivision Online Providers Approval Process: List of Accreditation Agencies
- First Review of Establishment of Virtual School Programs in Virginia as Required in §22.1-212.23-27
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2010 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia (revised 11/01/10)
- First Review of Proposed English Language Proficiency Performance Targets for Annual Measurable Achievement Objective (AMAO) 1 for 2009-2010 in Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB)
- Annual Report from the Virginia Council for Private Education
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.