Board Meeting Agenda - November 18, 2010
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 28, 2010, Meeting of the Board
- Resolutions of Recognition Presented to Virginia’s 2011 Regional Teachers of the Year and State Teacher of the Year
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Conform to HB 1199 by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of the Proposed Revisions to the Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of a Report on Homebound Instructional Services in Response to HB 257 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of the Criteria for Charter Schools, the Application for Charter Schools, and the Procedures for Receiving and Reviewing Charter School Applications
- First Review of the Application for College Partnership Laboratory Schools and the Procedures for Receiving, Reviewing, and Ruling on College Partnership Laboratory School Applications
- Final Review of the Proposed Criteria and Processes for Approving and Monitoring Multidivision Online Providers in Virginia (§22.1-212.23.-27)
- First Review to Reaffirm the 2009 Recommendations to the Standards of Quality
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct and Abuse in Virginia Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2010 Science Standards of Learning
- Final Review of the Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2010 English Standards of Learning
- First Review of a Proposed Supplement to the Curriculum Framework for the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Student-Athletes, Senate Bill 652 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2010 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant the Professional Education Program at Christopher Newport University Accreditation by the Board of Education Approved Process
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at James Madison University, Longwood University, Lynchburg College, Radford University, Shenandoah University, University of Richmond, The University of Virginia’s College at Wise, Virginia Intermont College, and Virginia State University
- Final Review of Proposed English Language Proficiency Performance Target for Annual Measurable Achievement Objective (AMAO) 1 for 2009-2010 in Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB)
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for End-of-Course History Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2008 History Standards
- Annual Report of the State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Report on the Virginia College and Career Readiness Initiative
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, November 17, 2010. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.