Board Meeting Agenda - January 13, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 18, 2010, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education: Dr. Ella P. Ward, Member of the Virginia Board of Education, 2003- 2011, and Vice President, 2006-2011
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Conform to HB 1199 by the 2010 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Proposed Revisions to the Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of the Proposed Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-671), and Repeal of the Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Day Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-670-10 et seq.)
- First Review of the Proposed Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy
- Final Review of a Report on Homebound Instructional Services in Response to HB 257 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Criteria for Charter Schools, the Application for Charter Schools, and the Procedures for Receiving and Reviewing Charter School Applications
- Final Review of the Application for College Partnership Laboratory Schools, and the Procedures for Receiving, Reviewing, and Ruling on College Partnership Laboratory School Applications
- Final Review to Reaffirm the 2009 Recommendations to the Standards of Quality
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct and Abuse in
Virginia Public Schools
Note: Final review of this item rescheduled for February 17, 2011.
- Final Review of Recommended Cut Scores for End-of-Course History Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2008 History Standards
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Student-Athletes, Senate Bill 652 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Proposed Supplement to the Curriculum Framework for the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- First Review of Revisions of Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- First Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance, Virginia’s Incentive Program to Encourage and Recognize Outstanding Achievement (HB 1172/SB 145)
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Criteria for Identifying Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensure as “Low Performing” or “At Risk of Becoming Low Performing” Required by Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA)
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to Virginia School Bus Specifications
- First Review of Revised Proposed Annual Measurable Objectives in Reading and Mathematics for 2010-2011 through 2013-2014
- First Review of the Proposed Addition of Asian Students as a Subgroup for the Purposes of Calculating Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2011
- Report on the Review of Virginia’s Textbook Adoption Process, the Virginia Studies Textbook Our Virginia: Past and Present, and Other Selected United States History Textbooks
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, January 12, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.