Board Meeting Agenda - February 17, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the Office of Vice President of the Board of Education, 2011-2013
Approval of Minutes of the January 13, 2011, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition Presented to the Virginia Recipients of the 2010 Milken Family Foundation National Educator Awards:
- Joel Christopher Robins, Deep Creek Elementary School, Chesapeake City Public Schools
- Sean Patrick Griffin, Belmont Station Elementary School, Loudoun County Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance, Virginia’s Incentive Program to Encourage and Recognize Outstanding Achievement (HB 1172/SB 145)
- Final Review of Revisions of Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Criteria for Identifying Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensure as “Low Performing” or “At Risk of Becoming Low Performing” Required by Title II of the Higher Education Opportunity Act
- Final Review of the Proposed Addition of Asian Students as a Subgroup for the Purposes of Calculating Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Grade 3, Virginia Studies, U. S. History to 1965, and U. S. History: 1865 to the Present Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2008 History Standards
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Cut Score and implementation Dates for the Praxis Braille Proficiency Test
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Cut Score for the Praxis Technology Education Assessment
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Approve a Cut Score for the Praxis Art: Content Knowledge Assessment
- First Review of Guidelines to Implement the Provisions of Section 22.1-302 (A) of the Code of Virginia Pertaining to the Employment of Substitute Teachers
- First Review of Virginia’s Proposed Revised Textbook Review Process
- First Review of Proposed English Language Proficiency Performance Targets for Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs) 1 (Progress) and 2 (Proficiency) through 2013- 2014 in Virginia’s Consolidated State Application Accountability Plan Under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB)
- Annual Report of the Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education
- Report on Virginia’s College and Career Readiness Initiative and College and Career Ready Mathematics Performance Expectations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 16, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.