Board Meeting Agenda - April 27-28, 2011
Planning Session Agenda – Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Click on the links below to view the individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Planning Session Convenes 1:00 p.m.
Introductory RemarksMrs. Eleanor Saslaw, President, Virginia Board of Education
Overview of Presentation TopicsDr. Patricia Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction Virginia Department of Education
Reports and Presentations
- Highlights of Progress in Meeting Board
of Education Objectives
Presenter: Dr. Deborah Jonas, Executive Director, Research and Strategic Planning
- Virginia's Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Programs
Presenters: Panel discussion with local STEM Directors
- Update on Virginia's Standards of Learning Assessment Program
Presenter: Mrs. Shelley Loving-Ryder, Assistant Superintendent for Student Assessment and School Improvement
- Overview of the Virginia Growth Measure
Presenter: Dr. Deborah Jonas, Executive Director of Research and Strategic Planning
- Overview of the Board of Education's Comprehensive Plan: 2011-2016
Presenter: Mrs. Anne Wescott, Assistant Superintendent for Policy and Communications
Wrap up and Next Steps
Adjournment of Planning Session
NOTE: The Board of Education will convene for the Business Session at 9 a.m., Thursday, April 28, 2011.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 28, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 24, 2011, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Mr. James A. Percoco, West Springfield High School, Fairfax County Public Schools, Recently Inducted into The National Teacher Hall of Fame
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- Final Review of the Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing Career and Technical Education (8VAC20-120-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Request for Continuation of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Danville City Public Schools for J. M. Langston Focus School
- Final Review of a Request for Continuation of an Alternative Plan from Richmond City Public Schools for Richmond Alternative School
- Final Review of Revised Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers and Virginia Standards for the Professional Practice of Teachers
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Cut Score for the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE): Elementary and Special Education Teachers Assessment
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Approve a Cut Score for the Reading for Virginia Educators: Reading Specialist Assessment
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia as Required by Title II of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
Discussion of Current Issues– by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Adjournment of Business Session
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 27, 2011. No business matters will be discussed. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.