Board Meeting Agenda – May 19, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the April 27-28, 2011, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- First Review of the Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131-5 et seq.) to Conform to HB 1554 and SB 810; HB 1793; and HB 2172 and SB 953 and HB 2494, Passed by the 2011 General Assembly, and HB 566 and SB 630 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia as Required by Title II of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve a Cut Score for the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE): Elementary and Special Education Teachers Assessment
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Approve a Cut Score for the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE): Reading Specialist Assessment
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan: 2011-2016
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Alexandria City Public Schools. This agenda item was removed at the request of Alexandria City Public Schools.
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Albemarle County Public Schools for the Albemarle County Community Public Charter School
- First Review of a Request for Continuation of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Fairfax County Public Schools for the Kilmer and Key Centers
- First Review of a Request for Approval of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Fairfax County Public Schools for Mountain View High School, Woodson Adult High School, and Bryant Alternative High School
- First Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 Mathematics
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for History for the Virginia Grade Level Alternative (VGLA)
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 16, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.