Board Meeting Agenda – June 23, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 19, 2011, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Ms. Victoria (Vickie) Hugate, Chesterfield
County Public Schools, Virginia’s Recipient of the 2010 Presidential Award for
Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Resolution of Appreciation for the Outstanding Service of Mr. David L. Johnson,
Member of the Virginia Board of Education, July 2003-June 2011
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Albemarle County Public Schools for the Albemarle County Community Public Charter School
- Final Review of a Request for Continuation of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Fairfax County Public Schools for the Kilmer and Key Centers
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Fairfax County Public Schools for Mountain View High School, Woodson Adult High School, and Bryant Alternative High School Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
- Final Review of the Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131-5 et seq.) to Conform to HB 1554 and SB 810; HB 1793; and HB 2172 and SB 953 and HB 2494, Passed by the 2011 General Assembly, and HB 566 and SB 630 Passed by the 2010 General Assembly
- First Review of the Proposed Repeal of Rules Governing Film Circulation from State and Regional Audiovisual Services, 8 VAC 20-300, Under the Fast Track Provision of the Administrative Process Act
- First Review of Proposed Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods Sold in the Public Schools Action/Discussion Items
- First Review of a Modified Academic Review Process for High Schools
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy: Blue Ridge Crossroads Governor’s Academy for Technical Education
- First Review of the Proposed Amendments to the Guidelines for Considering and Approving Requests for Pre-Labor Day Openings to Comport with HB 1483 and HN 1885 Passed by the 2011 General Assembly
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for Local Textbook Approval
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program for History and Writing
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees: Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy, State Special Education Advisory Committee, Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education, Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted, and the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- First Review of Proposed Technical Amendments to the Family Life Education Standards of Learning, as Required by the 2011 General Assembly Reports
- Report on History and Social Science Textbooks Published by Five Ponds Press
- Report on the Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy Discussion Regarding GED Testing Changes
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, June 22, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.