Board Meeting Agenda – July 28, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 23, 2011, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Appreciation presented to Deborah Love for outstanding service in her duties as Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Applications for Literary Fund Loans
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Family Life Education as Required by the 2011 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Proposed Amendments to the Guidelines for Considering and Approving Requests for Pre-Labor Day Openings to Comport with HB 1483 and HB 1885 Passed by the 2011 General Assembly
- Final Review of a Proposal to Establish a Governor’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy: Blue Ridge Crossroads Governor’s Academy for Technical Education
- Final Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 Mathematics
- Final Review of a Modified Academic Review Process for High Schools
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Chesterfield County Public Schools for Chesterfield Community High School
- First Review of a Request for Approval of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Bland County Public Schools, Colonial Beach Public Schools, Craig County Public Schools, Danville City Public Schools, Dickenson County Public Schools, Highland County Public Schools, Richmond City Public Schools, Scott County Public Schools, and York County Public Schools for High Schools with a Graduation Cohort of Fifty (50) Students or Less
- First Review of a Request for Approval of a Modification of Graduation Requirements, Pursuant to 8 VAC 20-131-50 of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia from Montgomery County Public Schools
- First Review of History and Social Science Textbooks Published by Five Ponds Press
- First Review of the Proposed Elementary School Gun Safety Guidelines and Curriculum
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2012 Calendar Year
- Report on Rebenchmarking of the Direct Aid to Public Education Budget for the 2012-2014 Biennium
- Report on Virginia’s Early Childhood Education Programs
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, July 27, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.