Board Meeting Agenda – September 22, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Remarks by the Honorable Robert F. McDonnell, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia
Approval of Minutes of the July 28, 2011, Meeting of the Board
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2012 Calendar Year
- Final Review of the Proposed Elementary School Gun Safety Guidelines and Curriculum
- First Review of the Proposed Repeal of the Regulations Governing the Approval of Correspondence Courses for Home Instruction (8 VAC 20-60)
- First Review of the Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Driver Education (8 VAC 20-340)
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of a Modification of Graduation Requirements, Pursuant to 8 VAC 20-131-50 of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, from Montgomery County Public Schools
- Final Review of History and Social Science Textbooks Published by Five Ponds Press
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for Local Textbook Approval
- Final Review of Requests for Approval of Alternative Accreditation Plans from Bland County Public Schools, Colonial Beach Public Schools, Craig County Public Schools, Danville City Public Schools, Dickenson County Public Schools, Highland County Public Schools, Richmond City Public Schools, Scott County Public Schools, and York County Public Schools for High Schools with a Graduation Cohort of Fifty (50) Students or Fewer
- Final Review of a Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Chesterfield County Public Schools for Chesterfield Community High School
- First Review of Requests for Ratings of Conditionally Accredited from Norfolk City School Board and Northampton County School Board
- First Review of Request for Rating of Conditionally Accredited from Norfolk City Public Schools for Lafayette-Winona Middle School
- Report on Potential U. S. Department of Education Waivers from Certain Requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
- Report on the Proposed Standard Setting Timeline for the New Mathematics Tests Scheduled for Implementation in 2011-2012
- Meeting of the Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind Foundation
- Overview of the Provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act: Mr. Jake A. Belue, Assistant Attorney General, Education Section, Office of the Attorney General of Virginia
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
ADJOURNMENT OF THE BUSINESS SESSION
FOLLOWING ADJOURNMENT OF THE BUSINESS SESSION
FOLLOWING ADJOURNMENT OF THE FOUNDATION MEETING:
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, September 21, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.