Board Meeting Agenda – November 17, 2011
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 27, 2011, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Mrs. Bonnie Berry, Ottobine Elementary School, Rockingham County Public Schools, the 2011 Elementary Teacher of the Year for GATE, the Global Association of Teachers of Economics
- Resolution of Recognition for the 90th Annual Observation of American Education Week, November 13-19, 2011
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to Dr. Margaret Roberts Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Executive Assistant to the State Board of Education
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on the Board of Education Advisory Committee: The State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve Education Programs Offered by Virginia Institutions of Higher Education as Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8VAC20-542-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Averett University, Bluefield College, George Mason University, Regent University, Shenandoah University, University of Richmond, and Virginia State University
- Final Review of the Process by which Locally Prescribed Graduation Requirements that Exceed the Requirements in 8 VAC 20-131-50 of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia May Be Amended or Discontinued
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2011 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of a Request from Carroll County Public Schools for Approval of Waivers from the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Establish a Virtual School
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the End-of-Course Standards of Learning Tests in Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II Based on the 2009 Mathematics Standards
- Annual Report of the State Special Education Advisory Committee
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES - by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, November 16, 2011. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact Dr. Margaret Roberts, Executive Assistant for Board Relations at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact Dr. Roberts in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.