Board Meeting Agenda - February 23, 2012
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the Offices of President and Vice President of the Board of Education, 2012-2014
Approval of Minutes of the January 12, 2012, Meeting of the Board
- Resolutions of Recognition Presented to Virginia’s 2012 Regional Teachers of the Year and State Teacher of the Year
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Proposed Addition to Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for High School Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools
- Final Review of Virginia’s Application for U. S. Department of Education Flexibility from Certain Requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
- Final Review of Revised Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Principals
- First Review of the Consensus Report from the Board of Education Charter School Committee on the Proposed Buffalo Creek Charter School Application
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Grades 3-8 Mathematics Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2009 Mathematics Standards
- First Review of Timeline for the Review and Approval of the Revised Fine Arts Standards of Learning
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 . Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.