Board Meeting Agenda - May 24, 2012Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, May 24, 2012
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the April 25-26, 2012, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition presented to school divisions recently receiving the AdvancED/SACS District Accreditation: Scott County Public Schools, Bath County Public Schools, and Richmond County Public Schools
- Final Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Include Standards for the Accreditation of Public Virtual Schools, Pursuant to HB 1215 (2012)
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Educational Services for Gifted Students (8 VAC 20-40-10 et seq.) to Conform to HB 1295 and SB 679 Passed by the 2012 General Assembly
- First Review of an Exempt Regulatory Action to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Conform to HB 96 (2012)
- First Review of Emergency Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Conform to HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012) and a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Permanent Amendments to the Regulations
- First Review of Emergency Amendments to Revise the Regulations Governing Adult High School Programs (8 VAC 20-30) and to Repeal the Regulations Governing the General Achievement Diploma (8 VAC 20-680) to Conform to HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012), and the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Permanent Amendments to the Regulations
- Final Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Tests (VMAST) for Grades 3-8 Mathematics and Algebra I
- Final Review of a Recommended Cut Score for the Numeracy Requirement of the Modified Standard Diploma on the Grade 8 Standards of Learning Mathematics Test Based on the 2009 Mathematics Standards
- Final Review of Revisions of Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- Final Review of a Proposal from Fairfax County Public Schools to Establish the New Commonwealth Governor’s STEM Academy at Chantilly High School and Chantilly Academy – Updated June 1, 2012
- Final Review of a Proposal from Roanoke County Public Schools to Establish the Governor’s STEM Academy at the Burton Center for Arts and Technology
- Final Review of a Proposal from Chesapeake City Public Schools to Establish the Grassfield High School Governor’s STEM Academy
- First Review of a Proposal from New Kent County Public Schools to Establish the Bridging Communities Regional Career and Technical Center
See related presentation on New Kent County’s Proposed Regional Career and Technical Center (PDF)
- First Review of a Proposal from New Kent County Public Schools to Establish the Bridging Communities Governor’s STEM Academy
See related presentation on New Kent County’s Proposed STEM Academy (PDF)
- First Review of Proposed Changes to the Virginia Charter School Application Process and Application to Conform to HB 1173 and SB 440 Passed by the 2012 General Assembly
- First Review of Revised Guidelines for Distributing National Board Certification Incentive Awards
- First Review of the Work Plan for the Review of the Standards of Quality
- First Review of a Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Henrico County Public Schools
- First Review of Revisions to Virginia’s Application for U.S. Department of Education Flexibility from Certain Requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) – Updated June 1, 2012
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education – Updated June 1, 2012
- Report of the Adult Education and Literacy Advisory Committee to the Virginia Board of Education on Upcoming Changes on the Content, Access, and Costs of the Tests of General Educational Development (GED)
Action/Discussion: Board of Education Regulations
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, May 23, 2012. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.