Board Meeting Agenda - July 26, 2012Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, July 26, 2012
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 28, 2012, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition presented to school divisions recently receiving the AdvancED/SACS District Accreditation: Chesapeake City Public Schools, Poquoson City Public Schools, Powhatan County Public Schools, and Radford City Public Schools.
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of Revisions to the Board of Education Criteria and Application for Establishing a College Partnership Laboratory School to Conform to SB 475, HB 765, and HB 577 Passed by the 2012 General Assembly
- Final Review of the Consensus Report from the Board of Education Charter School Committee on the Proposed Loudoun Math and IT Academy Charter School Application
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Board of Education Criteria for Character Education
- Second Review of the Proposed Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy
See related Accepted Amendments to Proposed Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy
- First Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 Science
- First Review of a Request for Increased Graduation Requirements from a Local School Board
- First Review of Modifications to the Academic Review Process
- First Review of Revised Individual Student Alternative Education Program Plan (ISAEP) Program Guidelines to Conform to HB 1061 and SB 489
- First Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Revise the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) as Required by House Bill 578 of the 2012 Virginia General Assembly to Establish a License and Eligibility Criteria for Teachers Who Teach Only Online Courses
- First Review of Revised Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Superintendents
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Advancing Virginia’s Leadership Agenda Guidance Document: Standards and Indicators for School Leaders and Documentation for the Principal of Distinction (Level II) Administration and Supervision Endorsement
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2013 Calendar Year
- Report on Changes to the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP) for the 2012-2013 School Year
See related presentation on Planned Changes to the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, July 25, 2012. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.