Board Meeting Agenda - October 25, 2012Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, October 25, 2012
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the September 27, 2012, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Revise the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Revise the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et.seq.)
- Final Review of a Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Revise the Regulations Governing the Employment of Professional Personnel (8 VAC 20-440-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Division-Level Academic Review Process
- Final Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance
- Final Review of a Proposed Amendment to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to House Bill 1295 and Senate Bill 679 Passed by the 2012 General Assembly
- Final Review of Proposed Alternate Methodology for Revising Mathematics Annual Measurable Objectives (AMOs) for Accountability Years 2013-2014 through 2017-2018 Under Provisions of Virginia’s Approved NCLB Waiver from Certain Requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
- Final Review of a Request for Approval for an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Henrico County Public Schools
- Final Review of Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Albemarle County School Board for a High School with a Graduation Cohort of Fifty (50) Students or Fewer
- Final Review of Request for a Rating of Conditionally Accredited from Alexandria City School Board for Jefferson-Houston Elementary School
- Final Review of Requests for Continued Ratings of Conditionally Accredited from Norfolk City School Board and Northampton County School Board
- Final Review of a Proposal from the Region 2000 Technology Council to Establish the Lynchburg Regional Governor’s STEM Academy
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Board of Education Application Criteria for Establishing a College Partnership Laboratory School to Allow Consideration of an Exception to the Application Process and Approval Timelines
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan: 2012-2017
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Standards of Quality
- First Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Arlington County School Board for Arlington Mill High School
- First Review of a Proposal from Newport News City Public Schools to Establish the Heritage High School Governor’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Academy
See related presentation on Newport News’ Proposed STEM Academy
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2012 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, October 24, 2012. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.