Board Meeting Agenda - November 29, 2012Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, November 29, 2012
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 25, 2012, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition presented to Virginia’s 2013 Regional Teachers of the Year and State Teacher of the Year
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Standards of Quality
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2012 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- Final Review of a Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Approve the Accountability Measurement of Partnerships and Collaborations Based on PreK-12 School Needs Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- Final Review of a Proposal from Newport News City Public Schools to Establish the Heritage High School Governor’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Academy
- Final Review of Request for Approval of an Alternative Accreditation Plan from Arlington County School Board for Arlington Mill High School
- First Review of a Memorandum of Understanding for Alexandria City School Board for Jefferson-Houston Elementary School
- First Review of a Memorandum of Understanding for Norfolk City School Board for Lafayette-Winona Middle School and William H. Ruffner Academy Middle School
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the End-of-Course Standards of Learning Tests in Reading, Earth Science, Biology and Chemistry Based on the 2010 English and Science Standards
- First Review of a Technical Amendment to the Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy (8 VAC 20-730)
- First Review of Revised Guidelines for the Neighborhood Assistance Act Tax Credit Program for Education to Conform to HB 321 and SB 131
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Computer Technology Standards of Learning
- First Review of Training Standards for Paraprofessionals Assigned to Work with a Teacher Who has Primary Oversight of Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- First Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on the Board of Education’s Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- Annual Report from the Virginia Council for Private Education
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Adjournment of the Business Session
Following Adjournment of the Business Session
- Public Hearing on the Proposed Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-671 et seq.)
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, November 28, 2012. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.