Board Meeting Agenda - February 28, 2013Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, February 28, 2013
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the January 10, 2013, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition Presented to the Virginia Recipient of the 2012 Milken Family Foundation National Education Award:
- Ms. LaKeshia Ames, fourth-grade mathematics teacher, Churchland Primary and Intermediate School, Portsmouth Public Schools
- Final Review of Timeline for the Review and Approval of the Revised Foreign Language Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720-170) Under the Fast Track Provision of the Administrative Process Act to Incorporate Provisions Regarding Local Selection of Textbooks Other Than Those Approved by the Board of Education
See Proposed Revisions to Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions, as approved by the board
with amendments made February 28, 2013 – updated March 11, 2013
- Final Review of Memorandum of Understanding for Alexandria City School Board for Jefferson-Houston Elementary School
- Final Review of Proposal from Richmond County Public Schools to Establish the Northern Neck Technical Center Governor’s STEM Academy for Agriculture and Maritime Studies
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Computer Technology Standards of Learning
See Computer Technology Standards of Learning, as approved by the board, which includes amendments made February 28, 2013
- Final Review of Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Averett University, Mary Baldwin College, Radford University, Regent University, University of Virginia, and Virginia Commonwealth University
- Final Review of Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Grant Approval to Washington and Lee University (Rockbridge Teacher Education Consortium-RTEC) to Offer Education (Endorsement) Programs
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Grades 3-8 Reading Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2010 English Standards of Learning (Revised March 4, 2013)
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Guidelines for Considering and Approving Requests for Pre-Labor Day Openings
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Sweet Briar College Through a Process Approved by the Board of Education
- Report on Implementation of a Memorandum of Understanding for the Division Level Review for Petersburg City Public Schools
- Report on K-12 Legislation Passed by the 2013 General Assembly
See related Attachment to Item M
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, February 27, 2013. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.