Board Meeting Agenda - June 27, 2013Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, June 27, 2013
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the May 23, 2013, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Proposal to Establish the Gloucester County Public Schools and Mathews County Public Schools Governor’s Health Sciences Academy
- Final Review of Proposals to Establish the Following Governor’s STEM Academies:
- Final Review of Revisions to Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- Final Review to Repeal Regulations Governing Substitute Teachers (8 VAC 20-640), Regulations for Conducting Division-Level Academic Reviews (8 VAC 20-700), and Regulations Governing the Process for Submitting Proposals to Consolidate School Divisions (8 VAC 20-710), Pursuant to SB 1201 (Fast Track)
- Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees: State Special Education Advisory Committee, Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education, Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted, Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure, and Advisory Committee on Adult Education and Literacy
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Fine Arts Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) to Revise the Procedures for Adjusting Grievances (8 VAC 20-90-10 et seq.)
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et seq.) (Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22.10 et seq.) (Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Employment of Professional Personnel (8 VAC 20-440-10 et seq.) (Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Revisions to Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22.10 et seq.) to Conform to Senate Bill 1345, Senate Bill 986, and House Bill 2028 (2013 General Assembly) (Exempt Action)
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for Passing Scores for the following Licensure Assessments: 1) Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA); 2) Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5031); 3) Praxis Middle School English Language Arts (5047); 4) Praxis Middle School Mathematics (5169); 5) Praxis English Language Arts: Content Knowledge (5038); 6) Praxis Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161)
- Final Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) Recommendations for Passing Scores for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Assessment as the Prescribed Entry Requirement into an Approved Education Program
- Final Review of Petition to Amend Rules Governing Division Superintendent of Schools (8 VAC 20-390)
- Final Review of Requests for Waivers to Certain Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia – updated June 25, 2013
- Final Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities (8 VAC 20-670-10 et seq.) (Final Stage)
- First Review of Proposed Growth Indicators in Response to the 2013 Acts of Assembly – updated June 21, 2013
- First Review of Permanent Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Replace the Emergency Amendments Required by HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012) (Proposed Stage)
- First Review of Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131)
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP) in Reading and Mathematics for Grades 3-8 and High School, in Writing for Grades 5, 8, and High School, and in Science for Grades 3, 5, 8, and High School
- Report on Updates to Petersburg City Public Schools’ Corrective Action Plan Required by the Memorandum of Understanding with the Virginia Board of Education
- Report on Surveys Regarding Parental Notification Related to Controversial or Sensitive Materials
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Richmond on Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.