Board Meeting Agenda - July 25, 2013Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, July 25, 2013
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 27, 2013, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition presented to Virginia’s 2013 National Distinguished Principal:
- Mrs. Sherry King, Principal at High Point Elementary School, Washington County Public Schools
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Growth Indicators in Response to the 2013 Acts of Assembly
See Growth Indicators, as amended and approved by the board July 25, 2013
- Final Review of Permanent Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) to Replace the Emergency Amendments Required by HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012) (Proposed Stage)
- First Review of Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (Proposed Stage)
See related presentation on amendments to the SOA (PDF)
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to Virginia School Bus Specifications
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2014 Calendar Year
- Report on Options Regarding Parental Notification Related to Controversial or Sensitive Materials
- Report from the Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted on Educational Opportunities for Gifted Students at the High School Level
- Annual Report of the Virginia Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education
See related presentation on Annual Report
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
PUBLIC HEARING – on Repealing the Regulations Governing the Approval of Correspondence Courses for Home Instruction (8 VAC 20-60) and Revising the Regulations Governing Driver Education (8 VAC 20-390)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Richmond on Wednesday, July 24, 2013. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.