Board Meeting Agenda – January 16, 2014Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 16, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 21, 2013, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition presented to Virginia’s 2014 Regional Teachers of the Year and Virginia Teacher of the Year
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Consensus Report from the Board of Education Charter School Committee on the Proposed Metropolitan Preparatory Academy Charter School Application
- Final Review of Guidance Related to Maximum Class Size Requirements in the Standards of Quality for Grades K-6
- Final Review of Recommended Revisions to the Substitute Tests Approved for Verified Credit (Revised January 16, 2014)
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Cumberland County Public Schools
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Mecklenburg County Public Schools
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Nottoway County Public Schools
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for a Passing Score for the Praxis II Family and Consumer Sciences Test (5122)
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Procedure for Adjusting Grievances (8 VAC 20-90-10 et seq.) (Proposed Stage)
- Report on the Timeline for Review of the Health Education, Physical Education, Driver Education Standards of Learning, and the History and Social Science Standards of Learning
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel on Wednesday, January 15, 2014. Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.