Board Meeting Agenda – April 23-24, 2014
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Planning Session Agenda – Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Planning Session Convenes – 11:00 a.m.
Introductory RemarksChristian N. Braunlich, President, Virginia Board of Education
Overview of Presentation TopicsDr. Patricia Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Virginia Department of Education
- Update on Teacher Recruitment, Retention, and Preparation in Virginia
Presenter: Patty Pitts, Assistant Superintendent for Teacher Education and Licensure
- Update on the Virginia Assessment Program: Continuing to Maximize the Opportunities of Online Testing
Presenter: Shelley Loving-Ryder, Assistant Superintendent for Student Assessment and School Improvement
- Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan
Presenter: Melissa Luchau, Director for Board Relations
Working Lunch – NoonDiscussion of Virginia’s Participation in the National Association Of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
Washington Conference Room, 25th Floor, James Monroe Building, 101 North 14th Street, Richmond, Virginia
Planning Session Reconvenes – 1:00 p.m.
Adjournment of Planning Session – 4:00 p.m.
*Please note presentation times are estimates and subject to change.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 24, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 27, 2014, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Appreciation presented to Dr. Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Martinsville City Public Schools
- Final Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Pittsylvania County Public Schools STEM Academy and Academy for Engineering and Technology (AET)
Request was withdrawn by Pittsylvania County Public Schools. No Board action was taken on this item.
- Final Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day from Danville City Public Schools Academy for Engineering and Technology (AET)
Request was withdrawn by Danville City Public Schools. No Board action was taken on this item.
- First Review of Corrective Action Plan Required by the Division-Level Review for Franklin City Public Schools
- First Review of Request for Approval of an Innovative Program Opening Prior to Labor Day (Year-Round School) from Loudoun County Public Schools Middleburg Community Charter School
- First Review of Revisions to Industry, Professional, or Trade Association Certification Examinations and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet the Requirements for the Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education and Advanced Mathematics and Technology Seals and the Student-Selected Verified Credit
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for Passing Scores for the Reading and Language Arts Subtest (5002) and Mathematics Subtest (5003) of the Praxis II Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Test
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for a Passing Score for the Praxis II Middle School Science Test (5440)
- Report on Effective Strategies for the School Improvement Process in Virginia (Updated April 18, 2014)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel on Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.