Board Meeting Agenda – September 18, 2014Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 18, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 24, 2014, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Request for Approval of the 2014 General Educational Development (GED®) Testing Program
- Final Review of Proposed Local Alternative Assessment Guidelines Developed in Response to 2014 Acts of Assembly
See proposed amendments to local alternative assessment guidelines (as proposed by Board of Education President)
- First Review of Requests for Conditional Accreditation from Nine School Divisions – Updated September 15, 2014
- First Review of Proposed English Language Proficiency Performance Targets for Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs) 1 (Progress) and 2 (Proficiency) through 2017-2018 in Virginia’s Title III Accountability Plan under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
- First Review of Clarification of the Subtest Numbers for the Praxis II Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Test
- First Review of Revisions to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to House Bill 373 and House Bill 758 of the 2014 General Assembly (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2015 Calendar Year
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System, as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
- Report on Options for Increasing Student-to-Teacher Ratios or other Cost Savings in Local or Regional Detention Center Education Programs – Updated September 16, 2014
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m. at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel on Wednesday, September 17, 2014. Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.