Board Meeting Agenda – October 23, 2014Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, October 23, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the September 18, 2014, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2015 Calendar Year
- Final Review of Requests for Conditional Accreditation from Nine School Divisions – Updated October 20, 2014
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Henrico County Public Schools, Norfolk City Public Schools, Northampton County Public Schools, and Richmond City Public Schools – Updated October 20, 2014
- First Review of Proposed Plan to Develop an A-F School Grading System in Response to the 2014 Acts of the Assembly
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Ferrum College through a Process Approved by the Board of Education
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Bluefield College, George Mason University, James Madison University, Mary Baldwin College, Old Dominion University, Radford University, Regent University, University of Virginia, and Washington and Lee University
- First Review of Proposed Revised History and Social Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of Proposed Revised Health Education, Physical Education, and Driver Education Standards of Learning
- First Review of Board of Education’s 2014 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, October 21, 2014, at Sam Millers’s Restaurant (1210 E. Cary St., Richmond, VA 23219). The Board of Education Retreat may be discussed informally at the dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board of Education will meet for a Retreat at 9 a.m., Wednesday, October 22, 2014, at the Library of Virginia (800 E. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219). The meeting is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, October 22, 2014, at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel (901 Bank St., Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.