Board Meeting Agenda – November 20, 2014Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, November 20, 2014
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 23, 2014, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate November 2014 as Family Involvement in Education Month
- Final Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Henrico County Public Schools, Norfolk City Public Schools, Northampton County Public Schools, and Richmond City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Plan to Develop an A-F School Grading System in Response to the 2014 Acts of the Assembly
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Ferrum College through a Process Approved by the Board of Education
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Grant Approval to Add New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Bluefield College, George Mason University, James Madison University, Mary Baldwin College, Old Dominion University, Radford University, Regent University, University of Virginia, and Washington and Lee University
- Final Review of Proposed English Language Proficiency Performance Targets for Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs) 1 (Progress) and 2 (Proficiency) through 2017-2018 in Virginia’s Title III Accountability Plan Under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
- Final Review of Board of Education’s 2014 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- First Review of the Amended Corrective Action Plan Required by the Division-Level Review for Franklin City Public Schools
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools and Norfolk City Public Schools
- First Review of Revisions to Virginia Board of Education’s Student Conduct Policy Guidelines Consistent with Actions by the 2014 General Assembly
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Student-Athletes, as Required by HB 410, SB 172, and HB 1096 of the 2014 General Assembly
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Use of Computer Science Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements Developed in Response to House Bill 1054 of the 2014 General Assembly
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for Using Supplementary Written Materials to Teach the Documents of Virginia History and the U. S. Constitution as Required by HB 197 of the 2014 General Assembly
- First Review of Amendments to the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (8 VAC 20-81) (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Amendments to Management of the Student’s Scholastic Record in the Public Schools of Virginia (8 VAC 20-150) (Exempt Action)
- Annual Report from the Virginia Council for Private Education
See presentation from VCPE
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, November 19, 2014, at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel (901 Bank St., Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.