Board Meeting Agenda – January 22, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 22, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 20, 2014, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition presented to Virginia Superintendent of the Year: Dr. Patrick Murphy
Resolutions of Recognition presented to Virginia’s 2015 Regional Teachers of the Year and Virginia Teacher of the Year
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for Using Supplementary Written Materials to Teach the Documents of Virginia History and the United States Constitution as Required by HB 197 of the 2014 General Assembly
- Final Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools and Norfolk City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed History and Social Science Standards of Learning – Item updated January 20, 2015
- Final Review of Proposed Health Education, Physical Education, and Driver Education Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Revisions to Student Conduct Policy Guidelines Consistent with Actions by the 2014 General Assembly
- Final Review of Revisions to Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Student-Athletes, as Required by House Bills 410 and 1096, and Senate Bill 172 of the 2014 General Assembly
- Final Review of Proposed Guidelines for the Use of Computer Science Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements Developed in Response to House Bill 1054 of the 2014 General Assembly
- First Review of Recommendation to Discontinue State Review of Foreign Language Textbooks
- First Review of Revised Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2015 Calendar Year
- Annual Progress Report on Memoranda of Understanding for Alexandria City Public Schools and Norfolk City Public Schools as Required for Schools in Accreditation Denied Status – Item updated January 20, 2015
See related presentation from Alexandria City Public Schools (PDF)
See related presentation from Norfolk City Public Schools (PDF)
- Annual Progress Report on Memoranda of Understanding for Petersburg City Schools and Sussex County Schools as Required for Divisions Under Division Level Review – Item updated January 20, 2015
See related presentation from Petersburg City Schools (PDF) – Updated January 20, 2015
- Report on Virginia’s Application for a Four-Year Renewal of Waivers from Certain Requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 21, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.