Board Meeting Agenda – February 26, 2015
NOTE: This meeting of the Board of Education was canceled due to inclement weather.
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, February 26, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the Office of Vice President of the Board of Education, 2015-2017
Approval of Minutes of the January 22, 2015, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition presented to the 2014 Outstanding Middle School Principal of Virginia: Mrs. Carole A. Kihm, principal, Longfellow Middle School, Fairfax County Public Schools
Resolution of Recognition presented to the 2014 Outstanding Secondary School Assistant Principal of Virginia: Mr. Shawn DeRose, assistant principal, J.E.B. Stuart High School, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Final Review of Amended Corrective Action Plan Required by the Division-Level Review for Franklin City Public Schools
- Final Review of Recommendation to Discontinue State Review of Foreign Language Textbooks
- Final Review of Proposed History and Social Science Standards of Learning
- Report on the Projected Timeline for the Review of the Mathematics Standards of Learning and Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, February 25, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.