Board Meeting Agenda – April 22-23, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Planning Retreat: Review of Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
9 a.m., Library of Virginia – Board Room (Mezzanine Floor)
800 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
|9:00 a.m.||Introductory Remarks: President Braunlich, Mrs. Atkinson|
|9:15 a.m.||Part I (Definitions and Purpose) and Part II (Philosophy, Goals and Objectives)|
|9:45 a.m.||Part III (Student Achievement)|
|1:00 p.m.||Part IV (School Instructional Program), Part V (School and Instructional Leadership), Part VI (School Facilities and Safety)|
|2:00 p.m.||Part VII (School and Community Communications)|
|3:00 p.m.||Part VIII (School Accreditation)|
Please note the agenda is subject to change.
April 22 Additional Documents
The Board of Education discussed the following working documents in their review of the Standards of Accreditation:
Parking information and directions for the Library of Virginia are available. The doors to the Library open to the public at 8:15 a.m. Please do not arrive earlier than 8:15 a.m. The Board Room is on the mezzanine floor which is only accessible via an elevator with a security badge. When you arrive, please check in with the information desk in the main lobby and you will be directed to the elevator. VDOE staff will assist you in accessing the mezzanine floor.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 23, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 26, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition presented to Recipient of 2014-2015 Virginia Education Association Award for Teaching Excellence: Precious Werner Crabtree
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- First Review of Requests for Alternative Accreditation Plans from Arlington County Public Schools and Richmond City Public Schools
- Final Review of Permanent Amendments to the Regulations Governing Adult High School Programs (8 VAC 20-30) and Repeal of the Regulations Governing the General Achievement Diploma (8 VAC 20-680) to Replace the Emergency Regulations Required by HB 1061 and SB 489 (2012)
- Final Review of Revisions to the List of Industry or Trade Association Certification Examinations, Professional Licenses, and Occupational Competency Assessments to Meet Board Requirements
- Report on the Implementation of the Local Alternative Assessment Guidelines Developed in Response to 2014 Acts of Assembly
See related presentation on local alternative assessment plans (PDF)
- Report on the Virginia K-12 Broadband Connectivity Project
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel on Wednesday, April 22, 2015. Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.