Board Meeting Agenda – July 23, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, July 23, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of the office of President of the Board of Education, 2015-2017
Approval of Minutes of the June 25, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of Revisions to the Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers, Principals, and Superintendents
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public School in Virginia (8 VAC 201-131) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the General Assembly under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act
- First Review of High School Equivalency (HSE) Examination Guidelines
See related presentation: High School Equivalency (HSE) Examination (PDF)
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2016 Calendar Year
- Report on the Timeline for Development of Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia
- Report from the Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted on Educational Opportunities for Gifted Middle School Students
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 22, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.