Board Meeting Agenda – September 10, 2015
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 10, 2015
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 23, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2016 Calendar Year
- Final Review of High School Equivalency (HSE) Examination Guidelines
- First Review of the Model Proposal and Criteria for Hanover Regional Governor’s School for Career and Technical Advancement
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2015 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia – updated as of September 8, 2015
- First Review of Proposed Guidelines for Graduation Requirements; Local Alternative Paths to Standard Units of Credit Developed in Response to House Bill 1675 and Senate Bill 982 of the 2015 General Assembly
- First Review of Guidance Related to the Partially Accredited Rating Included in the Revisions to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8VAC 20-131 under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act)
- First Review of Nomination to Fill Vacancy on the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Report on Rebenchmarking of the Direct Aid to Public Education Budget for the 2016-2018 Biennium – Updated as of September 10, 2015
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Planning the Work Ahead
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 9, 2015, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). The purpose of the meeting is to provide ongoing professional development for board members. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, September 9, 2015, at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown Hotel (555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.