Board Meeting Agenda – January 28, 2016
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 28, 2016
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 19, 2015, Meeting of the Board
- Recognition of GEAR UP Poster Contest Winner
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of Requests for Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Twenty-Two School Divisions
- Final Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools and Richmond City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Revised Curriculum Framework for 2015 History and Social Science Standards of Learning
- First Review of Requests for Continued Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Seven School Divisions
- First Review of Memorandum of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools
- First Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the ACT WorkKeys Reading for Information Test When Used as a Substitute Test for the Standards of Learning End-of-Course Reading Test – Updated January 27, 2016
- First Review of Nomination to Fill Vacancies on the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC) and the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL)
- First Review of Revisions to the Virginia Board of Education’s Bylaws
- Report on the Timeline for the Review of the English Standards of Learning
- Report on the Timeline for the Review of the Science Standards of Learning
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Planning the Work Ahead
- Procedure for Adjusting Grievances (Proposed Stage)
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 27, 2016, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). The purpose of the meeting is to provide ongoing professional development for board members. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 5:45 p.m., Wednesday, January 27, 2016, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.