Board Meeting Agenda – February 25, 2016
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, February 25, 2016
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the January 28, 2016, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education:
Mrs. Darla Edwards, Virginia Board of Education Member, 2012-2016
- Final Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List
- Final Review of Requests for Continued Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Four School Divisions
- Final Review of Memorandum of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools
- Final Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the ACT WorkKeys Reading for Information Test When Used as a Substitute Test for the Standards of Learning End-of-Course Reading Test
- Final Review of Revisions to the Virginia Board of Education’s Bylaws
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Danville City Public Schools, Essex County Public Schools, Hampton City Public Schools, Portsmouth City Public Schools, Richmond City Public Schools, and Staunton City Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia (Proposed Stage)
See related presentation on proposed regulations
- Annual Progress Report on Memorandum of Understanding for Alexandria City Public Schools, Henrico County Public Schools, Newport News City Public Schools, Norfolk City Public Schools, and Northampton County Public Schools as Required for Schools in Accreditation Denied Status
- Annual Progress Report on Memoranda of Understanding for Franklin City Public Schools, and Sussex County Public Schools as Required for Divisions Under Division Level Review
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Planning the Work Ahead
- NASBE Deeper Learning State Stipend
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 5:45 p.m., Wednesday, February 24, 2016, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.