Board Meeting Agenda – April 28, 2016
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, April 28, 2016
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the March 17, 2016, Meeting of the Board
- Resolutions of Recognition presented to Milken Family Foundation Educator Award Winners:
Lauren Anne Wilson, Teacher, C. D. Hylton High School, Prince William County Public Schools
Amber Dortch, Principal, Hugo A. Owens Middle School, Chesapeake City Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate the Week of May 2-6, 2016, as Teacher Appreciation Week
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Revised Memoranda of Understanding for Petersburg City Public Schools as Required for Divisions under Division Level Review
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Accredit the Teacher Education Program at Lynchburg College through a Process Approved by the Board of Education
- Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Procedure for Adjusting Grievances, 8 VAC 20-90-10
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia, 8 VAC 20-543-10 et seq. (Final Stage)
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel, 8 VAC 20-23-10 et seq. (Final Stage)
- First Review of Regulations Governing the Collection and Reporting of Truancy Related Data and Student Attendance Policies, 8 VAC 20-730 (Final Stage) – Item was withdrawn during the April 28, 2016, meeting
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Secondary School Transcript, 8 VAC 20-160-10 et seq. (Fast Track)
- First Review of Revisions to the List of 2016-2017 Board of Education Approved Industry Certifications, Occupational Competency Assessments, and Professional Licenses
- First Review of Recommendation to Discontinue State Review of Health Education, Physical Education and Driver Education Textbooks
- Report on K-12 Legislation Passed by the 2016 General Assembly
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Planning the Work Ahead
- Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods Available for Sale in Public Schools, 8 VAC 20-740 (Re-Proposed Stage)
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 11:45 a.m., Wednesday, April 27, 2016, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). The purpose of the meeting is to provide ongoing professional development for board members. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, April 27, 2016, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2924 or Melissa.Luchau@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.