Board Meeting Agenda – July 28, 2016
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, July 28, 2016
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the June 23, 2016, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Marian F. Morris Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Administrative Assistant to the State Board of Education
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Wendell C. Roberts, Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board of Education Advisory Committees
- First Review of Revised Virginia Public Charter School Application and Application Process
- First Review of Revisions to the High School Equivalency (HSE) Examination Guidelines for Virginia
- First Review of Revisions to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC 20-22-10 et seq.) to Conform to General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)
- First Review of Proposed Teacher Licensure Requirements for Mixed-Delivery Preschool Fund and Grant Program in Response to 2016 Acts of Assembly
- First Review of Revisions to the Guidance for the Determination of the Accreditation Rating: “Partially Accredited”
- Schedule for the Adoption of History and Social Science, Mathematics, English, and Science Textbooks and Instructional Materials
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System as a Subrecipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Discussion of Possible Topics for Inclusion in the Board of Education’s Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 27, 2016, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education (804-225-2924 or Melissa.Luchau@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.