Board Meeting Agenda – September 22, 2016
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 22, 2016
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 28, 2016, Meeting of the Board
- Final Review of Revised Virginia Public Charter School Application and Application Process
- Final Review of Revisions to the High School Equivalency (HSE) Examination Guidelines for Virginia
- Final Review of Revisions to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel to Conform to General Assembly Legislation (Exempt Action)
- Final Review of the Proposed Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Proposed Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
- First Review of Requests for Continued Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Twelve School Divisions
- First Review of Requests for Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School from Forty-Two School Divisions
- First Review of Memoranda of Understanding as Required of Schools in Accreditation Denied Status for Newport News City Public Schools and Richmond City Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Local Alternative Assessment Guidelines
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, Parts I-VII (Proposed Stage) – Updated September 19, 2016
- First Review of Recommendations to Revise the Standards of Quality (SOQ) – Updated September 21, 2016
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities (Fast Track)
- First Review of Revisions to Family Life Education Board of Education Guidelines and Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools
- First Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for 2017
- First Review of Board of Education’s 2016 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Report on the Virginia Federal Preschool Expansion Grant (VPI+)
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Update on Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia
The board will break at approximately noon for a 30-minute lunch.
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 11:30 am, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, September 21, 2016, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education (804-225-2924 or Melissa.Luchau@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.