Board Meeting Agenda – January 26, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, January 26, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the November 17, 2016, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
Recognition of GEAR UP Poster Contest Winner
Recognition of Virginia’s 2017 Regional Teachers of the Year and Virginia Teacher of the Year, Dr. Toney Lee McNair, Jr.
Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education Presented to Dr. Oktay Baysal, Virginia Board of Education Member 2012-2017
Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership and Service to Public Education Presented to Mrs. Joan Wodiska, Virginia Board of Education Member 2013-2017
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Revised 2017 English Standards of Learning
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, Parts I-VII (Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8VAC 20-720) Regarding Use of Sexually Explicit Instructional Materials (Proposed Stage)
- Final Review of Model Policy Regarding Political Candidates and Public Officials and Model Policy Regarding Controversial Issues
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for a Passing Score for the Praxis Algebra I (5162) Test for the Mathematics – Algebra I (Add-on) Endorsement
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Employment of Professional Personnel (8VAC20-441-10 et seq.) (Final Stage)
- Report of the SOL Innovation Committee
- Report on the Timeline for the Development of the Computer Science Standards of Learning
- Report on the Timeline and First Draft Outline for the Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2017-2022
- Legislative Report: 2017 General Assembly
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at noon, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, January 25, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.