Board Meeting Agenda – November 14-15, 2018
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – November 14, 2018
Full Board Convenes** – 10:00 a.m.
**The purpose of convening in this meeting is for the Board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(A)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – November 15, 2018
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the October 17-18, 2018, Meetings of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition
- Recognition of Salem City Schools and Virginia Beach City Schools on being named as AASA’s 25 Most Innovative School Districts
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Dr. Cynthia A. Cave Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Assistant Superintendent of Policy and Communications
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure to Revise the Fee Schedule for Licensure-This is a Word document.
- First Review of Recommendations Concerning Literary Fund Applications Approved for Release of Funds or Placement on a Waiting List; Update to the First Priority Waiting List-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Procedural Guidelines for Conducting Licensure Hearings-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC20-23) to Comport with 2018 Legislation Passed by the General Assembly Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s 2018 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia -This is a Word document
- Report on 2019 Commemoration Schools-This is a Word document.
- Report from the Committee on Evidence-Based Policymaking-This is a Word document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a lunch at 12:30 p.m., Wednesday, November 14, 2018, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, November 14, 2018, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.