Board Meeting Agenda – September 18-19, 2019
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session – Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9:30 a.m. **
** The purpose of convening this meeting is for the board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(a)(40). Public comment will not be accepted at this time.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 19, 2019
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 24-25, 2019, Meeting of the Board
Resolutions of Recognition
- Recognition of Madeline Michel (Theater Director, Monticello High School, Albemarle County), 2019 Tony Award for Excellence in Theater Education
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Mrs. Gena Keller Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Assistant Superintendent for Learning
- Resolution of Appreciation for Outstanding Service to Public Education Presented to Mrs. Beverly Rabil Upon the Occasion of Her Retirement from the Virginia Department of Education as Director of School Quality
- Resolution to Commemorate September 15-October 15, 2019, as Hispanic Heritage Month
- Final Review of Proposed Amendments to the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel (8 VAC20-23) to Comport with Legislation Passed by the General Assembly Under the Fast Track Provisions of the Administrative Process Act -This is a Word document.
- Final Review of the Proposed 2017 Computer Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Revised Guidelines for Providing Loan Interest Rate Subsidy Grant Payments for the Virginia Public School Authority Pooled Bond Program-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Request for Division-level Review for Prince Edward County Public Schools-This is a Word document.
- Final Review of Request for Division-level Review for Danville City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed 2020 Board of Education Meeting Schedule-This is a Word document.
- Second Review of Proposed Revisions to the Standards of Quality-This is a Word document.
- First Review of Proposed Revisions to the Regulations Governing the Testing of Sight and Hearing of Pupils (8VAC-20-250) (Fast-Track)-This is a Word document.
- First Review of a Proposal to Adopt Special Provisions Related to the Use of School Quality Indicators-This is a Word document.
- First Review of the Senior Capstone Guidelines as required by HB 2662 (2019 General Assembly)-This is a Word document.
- Annual Report from the State Special Education Advisory Committee-This is a Word document.
- Written Report on the Timeline for the Review of the Computer Technology Standards of Learning-This is a Word document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for lunch at 12 noon Wednesday, September 18, 2019, in the Washington Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, September 18, 2019, at The Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education, which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.