Virginia Standards of Quality
The Constitution of Virginia requires the Board of Education to prescribe standards of quality for the public schools of Virginia, subject to revision only by the General Assembly. These standards, found in the Code of Virginia §§ 22.1-253.13:1 through 22.1-253.13:9, are known as the Standards of Quality (SOQ) and encompass the requirements that must be met by all Virginia public schools and divisions. Every two years – as required by the Code – the Board of Education reviews the SOQ for necessary revisions. In conducting the review, the board seeks public comment including suggestions and concerns of educators, parents, students, employers, civic and community leaders, and other interested citizens in addressing the needs, priorities, and programs in public schools across Virginia. The board accepts comments in writing – by mail, fax or e-mail – and during public hearings held across the state.
2012 Review of the Standards of Quality
- 2012 Board of Education Annual Report (PDF), including proposed revisions to the Standards of Quality
- Guiding questions (PDF), developed by the board to serve as a framework for the review.
- Standards of Quality committee work plan (PDF) was approved on May 24, 2012.
- See possible Recommendations for Revisions to the Standards of Quality (PDF) based on public comments received from May to September 2012, as well as recommendations from previous SOQ reviews that have not been acted upon by the General Assembly.
- More about SOQ committee meetings.
2012 Standards of Quality
- Transmittal of the 2012 Standards of Quality – Superintendent’s Memo #170-12, July 13, 2012
- Code of Virginia – 2012 Standards of Quality (Word)
- Excerpts from Chapter 3, 2012 Acts of Assembly (2012-2014 Appropriation Act) (Word)
2011 Standards of Quality
- Transmittal of the 2011 Standards of Quality – Superintendent's Memo #196-11, July 15, 2011
- Code of Virginia – 2011 Standards of Quality (PDF)
- Excerpts from the Chapter 890, 2011 Acts of Assembly (2011 Appropriation Act) (PDF)
- Overview of Standards of Quality Funding Process (PPT)
2010 Standards of Quality
See the Board of Education Agenda Item I (PDF) for additional information regarding proposed legislation reviewed by the board in late 2010 and approved by the board in early 2011. The legislation was approved by the General Assembly and became effective July 1, 2011.