dopting Criteria for the Diploma Seal for Civics Education
Resolution Number 2003-26
June 25, 2003
The Board of Education adopted a motion to accept for final review and adopt the proposed criteria for the Board of Education Diploma Seal for Excellence in Civics Education (HB 1503).
The criteria are as follows:
Board of Education Diploma Seal for Excellence in Civics Education
To earn a Board of Education Diploma Seal for Excellence in Civics Education a student must satisfy each of the following four criteria:
1) Satisfy the requirement to earn a Standard Diploma or an Advanced
Studies Diploma; AND
2) Complete Virginia and United States History and Virginia and United
States Government courses with a grade of “B” or higher; AND
3) Complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities. Activities that would count include:
- a) Volunteering for a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick or less fortunate;
- b) Participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or similar youth organizations;
- c) Participating in JROTC;
- d) Participating in political campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model General Assembly;
- e) Participating in school-sponsored extracurricular activities that have a civics focus.
Any student who enlists in the United States military prior to graduation will be deemed to have met this community service requirement.
4) Have good attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board policies.
Mark C. Christie, President
Board of Education
Adopted in the Minutes of the Virginia Board of Education
June 25, 2003