Delegating Authority for Determination of Distributions and Approving Funding Distributions for Current Budget Year
Resolution Number 2007-34
October 18, 2007
The Board of Education approves the funding distributions for the current budget year and adopts the resolution to delegate to the Superintendent of Public Instruction its authority for determination of distributions, subject to specific conditions. The resolution is as follows:
Virginia Board of Education Resolution
Delegating Certain Duties to the Superintendent of Public Instruction
That the following Board responsibilities, as currently set forth in the 2007 Session, Chapter 847, 2007 Acts of Assembly, Appropriation Act, and as may be set forth in subsequent Appropriation Acts, be delegated to the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Under the section, Direct Aid to Public Education (197), ITEM 134, Financial Assistance for Educational, Cultural, Community, and Artistic Affairs (14300) and Financial Assistance for Supplemental Education (14304), Item #B, states that:
"B.1. Out of this appropriation, the Department of Education shall provide $800,000 the first year and $900,000 the second year from the general fund for Project Discovery. These funds are to fund approximately one-half of the cost of the program in Abingdon, Accomack/Northampton, Alexandria, Amherst, Appomattox, Arlington, Bedford, Bland, Campbell, Charlottesville, Cumberland, Danville/Pittsylvania, Fairfax, Franklin/Patrick, Goochland/Powhatan, Lynchburg, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond City, Roanoke City, Smyth, Surry/Sussex, Tazewell, Williamsburg/James City, and Wythe and the salary of a fiscal officer for Project Discovery.
2. The Board of Education shall determine the Project Discovery funding distributions to each community action agency. The contract with Project Discovery, Inc. should specify the allocations to each local Project Discovery program. Allocations shall be on a per pupil basis for students enrolled in the program."
This delegation of authority shall apply only to the determination of funding distributions. Such delegation shall also be subject to the following conditions:
- That the Superintendent reports annually to the Board on his exercise of the authority and responsibility delegated to him;
- That the Board reserves the right to require of the Superintendent a report concerning the exercise of any authority herein delegated;
- That the Superintendent's exercise of the delegated authorities shall conform to all regulations of the Board and laws governing educational programs and policy in Virginia; and
- That this delegation is not an abnegation of the Board's power and responsibility in the areas delegated.
This delegation of authority shall remain in effect until amended or rescinded by the Board of Education, or until the language in the Appropriation Act is amended so that the Board is no longer obligated to determine Project Discovery funding distributions.
Mark E. Emblidge, President
Board of Education
Adopted in the Minutes of the Virginia Board of Education
October 18, 2007