Revising Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for Standard, Standard Technical, Advanced Studies, Advanced Technical, and Modified Standard Diplomas
Resolution Number 2009-15
May 28, 2009
The Board of Education approved revised courses to satisfy graduation for the Standard, Standard Technical, Advanced Studies, Advanced Technical, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools.
The revisions to the courses to satisfy graduation requirements include the following:
- The addition of courses approved for the Standard Technical and Advanced Technical Diplomas;
- The removal of the option to earn two standard credits in mathematics for completing Algebra I in a two-course sequence or Geometry in a two-course sequence to satisfy the Standard Diploma or that one of the two-course sequences may be used to satisfy the Advanced Studies Diploma.
- The addition of an end-of-course assessment for Algebra, Functions, and Data Analysis, effective in 2011-2012, to enable students to earn a verified credit for successful completion of the course; and
- The removal of the option to earn two standard credits in science for completing Chemistry in a two-course sequence.
- No revisions have been proposed to the English courses or list of History and Social Science courses to satisfy graduation requirements.
Mark E. Emblidge, President
Minutes of the Virginia Board of Education