Virginia Preschool Initiative
What is the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)?
The Virginia Preschool Initiative distributes state funds to schools and community-based organizations to provide quality preschool programs for at-risk four-year-olds unserved by the federal Head Start program.
The purpose of the grant is to reduce disparities among young children upon formal school entry and to reduce or eliminate those risk factors that lead to early academic failure.
To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes:
- Provision for a quality preschool education;
- Health services;
- Family engagement;
- Facilitation of comprehensive services including health, mental health and nutrition; and
- A plan for transportation.
For VPI Program Coordinators and Administrators
Program Coordinator Training
Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Coordinator Meetings planned for 2019 – Spring 2019 VPI Coordinator Meetings will be held in four regions of the state. Please save the date for the meeting closest to you. Specific times for the meetings and an agenda will be provided to VPI Coordinators soon. Topics will include CLASS observations, professional development and integrated/evidenced-based curriculum.
- March 12, 2019, Newport News, City Center Marriott
- March 13, 2019, Fredericksburg, Hospitality House
- April 9, 2019, Wytheville, Wytheville Meeting Center
- April 18, 2019, Staunton, Stonewall Jackson Inn
- 2017 Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Coordinator Training (PDF) – Program overview training presentation.
Program Requirements & Guidelines
- For details about the grant, read Appropriation Act Language-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Guidelines-This is a Word document. – To obtain state funding, localities must develop a written local plan for programs that includes: 1. Provision for a quality preschool education; 2. Health services; 3. Family engagement; 4. Facilitation of comprehensive services; and 5. A plan for transportation.
- Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Guidelines Webinar-This is a PPT presentation.
- Focus on Quality: Creating an Early Childhood Classroom Schedule (Word) – Guidelines for creating daily classroom schedules that a school division or locality may implement or adapt. The guidelines include requirements for schools or localities receiving funds through the Virginia Preschool Initiative.
Application Process and Funding
- Virginia Preschool Initiative State Funding Based on Student Enrollment - Fall Student Record Collection-This is a Word document.
- Guidance for PK Funding and PK Experience Codes (PDF) | (Word)
- VPI Income Report (XLS)
- School Bus Transportation of Pre-School-Aged Children from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration