ESEA FLEXIBILITY INFORMATION FROM STATE SUPERINTENDENT PATRICIA I. WRIGHT
September 5, 2012
Revised 2012 Assessment and Accountability Timeline
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) has revised its timeline for the release of federal accountability reports, state accreditation ratings, cohort reports and graduation rates to school divisions and the public.
This revision is necessitated by the Board of Education’s decision to consider adjustments to the methodology used to establish the annual measurable objectives (AMOs) for mathematics announced by VDOE on July 24.
Superintendent of Public Instruction Patricia I. Wright will recommend that the Board follow a two-step process in revising the methodology and resetting the mathematics AMOs:
- September 27 – Waive first review and approve on final review mathematics AMOs for accountability year 2012-2013 (based on achievement during 2011-2012) and accept for first review mathematics AMOs for accountability years 2013-2014 through 2017-2018.
- October 25 – Approve on final review AMOs for accountability years 2013-2014 through 2017-2018.
In reviewing the following timeline, please remember it is contingent on Board of Education actions at the September and October meetings.
|September 12||VDOE issues news release on the performance of student subgroups on 2011-2012 Standards of Learning tests, with a focus on mathematics. Concurrently, the department will update school, division and state report cards to include overall and subgroup performance on 2011-2012 assessments.|
|September 20||Cohort Graduation online data correction tool closes.|
|September 21||Final, pre-public release refresh of accreditation data.|
|September 26||VDOE issues news release on 2012-2013 state accreditation ratings. Concurrently, the department will post updated school report cards and related summary data on the VDOE website. The status of conditionally accredited schools (not including new schools) and schools seeking conditional accreditation for the first time will be reported as TBD pending action by the Board of Education on October 25. Updated school report cards and related summary information will be posted following the board meeting.|
|September 27||Superintendent of Public Instruction recommends that the Board of Education waive first review and approve on final review mathematics AMOs for accountability year 2012-2013 (based on achievement during 2011-2012) and accept for first review mathematics AMOs for accountability years 2013-2014 through 2017-2018.|
|October 10||Contingent on Board of Education action on September 27, VDOE issues news release on schools meeting AMOs, including schools identified as priority and focus schools. Concurrently, the department will update school, division and state report cards and post related summary data on the VDOE website.|
|October 23||VDOE issues news release on cohort graduation and dropout rates for the class of 2012. Four-year, five-year and six-year cohort reports for divisions and schools posted on VDOE website.|
|October 25||Final review by the Board of Education of AMOs for accountability years 2013-2014 through 2017-2018.|
VDOE staff is prepared to assist school divisions with questions about accountability ratings and related issues. Here are contacts for the most frequently queried topics:
- General questions about ESEA flexibility: ESEA@doe.virginia.gov
- Student assessment records: Office of Test Administration, Scoring and Reporting at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (804) 225-2102
- AMO and accreditation calculations: Office of Information Management by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling (804) 225-2099
- Priority, focus or improvement plan status: Kathleen Smith, director, Office of School Improvement, at (804) 786-5819 or Kathleen.Smith@doe.virginia.gov
- Communications issues: Charles Pyle, director of communications, at (804) 371-2420 or Charles.Pyle@doe.virginia.gov; or Julie Grimes, communications manager, at (804) 225-2775 or Julie.Grimes@doe.virginia.gov