Elementary & Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
Public Notice:State Waiver Requests for Carryover Requirements for Federal Fiscal Year 2012 Title I, Part A, Funds under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (PDF)
VDOE assists schools and school divisions in administering programs authorized by the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) – the most recent reauthorization of which is also known as the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
ESEA requires states to set annual objectives for increasing student achievement with the goal of ensuring that all children have an opportunity to obtain a high-quality education. Schools, school divisions and states that meet these objectives make what the law refers to as “Adequate Yearly Progress.”
Each of the ten titles or chapters of the law pertain to a different set of programs where federal funding is authorized for improving public education and achieving the objectives of the law.
- 2012 Virginia Federal Program Administrators Annual Meeting VDOE Presentations – Nov. 15, 2011
- Requirements and Implementation of a Title I Schoolwide Program (PDF)
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers in Virginia (PDF)
- School Improvement A Joint Effort PAA & OSI (PDF)
- Identifying and Addressing the Needs of an English Language Program (PDF)
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers – Research To Practice (PDF)
- From Vision to Practice Annual Institute
- Technical Assistance Academy for Coordinators
- For professional development opportunities that are offered for specific ESEA programs, select a topic from the menu on the right.