Title II, Part A: Improving Teacher Quality
Virginia's Transition to ESSASee Title II, Part A, Crosswalk-This is a PDF document. (PDF) for changes between NCLB and ESSA for specific changes to this program area. For more information about the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), see ESSA Transition.
About Title II, Part A
Federal funds awarded under Title II, Part A, support programs to increase academic achievement by increasing the number of qualified teachers in classrooms; increasing the number of qualified principals and assistant principals in schools; and increasing the effectiveness of teachers and principals by holding school divisions and schools accountable for improvements in student academic achievement.
Title II, Part A, is a formula-based program. All school divisions are eligible to receive funding through an annual application process. Programs and activities must be based on a needs assessment which must include involvement from a wide variety of stakeholders (i.e., teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals, parents, private school representatives, etc.)
Private not-for-profit schools located within the school division’s geographic boundaries are eligible to receive services in collaboration with the school division. Additional information may be found on the Equitable Services webpage.
- Developing and implementing strategies and activities to recruit, hire, and retain qualified and effective teachers and principals, particularly in schools with a high percentage of low-achieving students;
- Providing evidence-based professional development activities that improve the knowledge of teachers and principals and, in appropriate cases, paraprofessionals, in content knowledge and instructional practices;
- Carrying out teacher advancement initiatives that promote professional growth and emphasize multiple career paths (such as paths to becoming a mentor teacher, career teacher, or teacher leader) and pay differentiation;
- Carrying out programs and activities that are designed to improve the quality of the teaching force, such as innovative professional development programs that focus on technology literacy, teacher leadership, teacher and principal preparation, and differentiated pay programs.
- Leadership development for teacher leaders, principals, and other school leaders, to include:
- Professional development to improve leadership capacity;
- Leadership residency initiatives
- Leadership preparation academies
- Leadership mentoring
For a listing of other allowable activities, refer to “At a Glance Allowable Uses of Funds Under ESSA.” (Word)
Guidelines and Procedures
- ESSA Legislation, Public Law 115-64
- ESSA Laws, Guidance, and Policy Letters
- Guidance Documents -
Links to guidance documents are provided for the Title II, Part A, program for both NCLB and ESSA provisions. During this transition period, school divisions are encouraged to review the content of each document based on the appropriate funding year.
- Building Systems of Support for Excellent Teaching and Leading: Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a PDF document. (2016) USED. This document provides an overview of changes to the Title II, Part A, program under ESSA, with a focus on identifying and implementing high quality, evidence-based practices.
- Improving Teacher Quality State Grants: Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a PDF document. (2006) USED. This document provides an overview of Title II, Part A requirements under NCLB.
- Evidence-Based Practices
- Introduction to Title II, Part A (July 2017)VDOE Guidance
Title II, Part A, Applications
Educator Performance and Evaluation
- Teacher Licensure in Virginia
- Highly Qualified Teachers and Paraprofessionals: Transition from the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) to the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) (REVISED) (July 2016)
- Instructional Personnel and Licensure Report
- Teacher License Query
- Title I Paraprofessional Qualifications: Transition from the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) to the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) (July 2016)
- The Paraprofessional Guide to Supervision and Collaboration with Paraprofessionals: A Partnership (PDF) (2005) VDOE Guidance
- Sample Letter – Parent’s Right to Request Information on Teacher Qualifications (Word)
- Sample Letter – Assignment of Teacher for More Than Four Weeks not Meeting Certification/Licensure Requirements (Word)
- High Quality Professional Development Criteria (PDF (2004) VDOE Guidance
- Teaching in Virginia: Professional Learning and Development
- Teaching in Virginia: Professional Learning Network
- Department of Education Professional Development Calendar
- TeacherDirect This resource provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well professional development and grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.
- Transferability Provisions Under ESSA-This is a PPT document.
- Transferability Form-This is a Word document.
- Transferability from Title IV, Part A to Title II, Part A: Amending the Title IIA Application-This is a PPT document.
Verifying Title II Time and Effort
Title II, Part A, Technical Assistance
2015-2016 Title IIA University
- Foundations of Title II, Part A UPDATED (PPT)
- Needs Assessment (PPT)
- Equitable Services to Private Schools (PPT)
Teacher Equity Plans
- Virginia’s Revised State Plan for Attaining the Goal of 100 Percent Highly Qualified Teachers (PDF) (2006)
- An Update to Virginia's Teacher Equity Plan – 2009 (PDF)
- An Update to Virginia's Teacher Equity Plan – 2011 (PDF)
- An Update to Virginia’s Teacher Equity Plan – 2012 (PDF)
- Virginia’s Plan to Ensure Excellent Educators for All Students (Teacher Equity Plan) – 2015 (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Education Equity Plan approval - October, 2015 (PDF)
- Teacher Equity Plan Webinar Series Schedule(Word) – Revised April 2016
Federal Program Monitoring
- Title II, Part A, Monitoring Protocol-This is a Word document.
- Preparing for Federal Program Monitoring-This is a PPT document. (2016)
Equitable Services to Private School Students
- Title IX: Private Schools Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a Word document. is intended to assist school divisions and other entities in providing equitable services to eligible private school students, teachers, and other educational personnel, and, under some programs, to parents (2016) USED
- Revised Private School Children Non-Regulatory Guidance-This is a PDF document. (2006) USED
- Title II, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Equitable Services to Private School Teachers-This is a PDF document. USED
- Equitable Services to Private Schools-This is a PPT document.
- Handout: Sample Private School Planning Tool-This is a Word document.
- Handout: Sample Intent Form Cover Letter-This is a Word document.
- Handout: Sample Intent Form-This is a Word document.
- Handout: Sample Calendar for Coordinators-This is a Word document.
- Affirmation of Consultation-This is a Word document.
Title II, Part A, Allocations
- Memoranda from Virginia State Superintendent to school division superintendents:
- 2017-2018 Title II, Part A, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) – Superintendent’s Memo 305-17
- Elimination of Hold-Harmless in Title II, Part A, Allocation Formula-This is a PDF document . (2017) VDOE Guidance
- 2016-2017 Title II, Part A, Allocations under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), Superintendents’ Memo #230-16, September 16, 2017
- 2015-2016 Title II, Part A, Allocations Under Provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) Superintendents’ Memo #257-15, October 2, 2015
Virginia Department of Education Title II Staff and Assignments
- U.S. Department of Education’s Professional Development Continuing Education Resources
- Learning Forward Professional Learning Resources